Related links

You may also be interested in the following:

About the parish

click image to zoom

click image to zoom

click image to zoom

The parish of Warnham is a thriving community. There are many facilities in the Parish including a primary school, four public houses, a social club, the Parish Church of St Margaret, the Village Hall and a Parish Room as venues for meetings, sports and public hire; together with businesses, dance studio and health club, allotments, accommodation for the over 60s and affordable housing. The parish has over 20 clubs representing amenity and residents’ groups, most popular sports and the interests of all ages.

 

Warnham parish itself comprises an area of nearly 20 sq.kms and incorporates the village of Warnham and a number of hamlets and small rural communities – Kingsfold, Winterfold, Northlands, Durfold, Station Road, Goosegreen and a part of Rowhook – surrounded by open countryside. The village itself is in a gently sloping hollow bounded by steep slopes to the south, Bailing Hill, and to the north, Knob Hill. There are still extensive tracts of agricultural land and many wooded areas, including some areas of ancient woodland and shaws between fields. There are many open spaces in the parish including a recently set up butterfly reserve.

 

click image to zoom

Historically the parish probably began as a number of temporary huts dotted about in isolated clearings in the forest. The village of Warnham grew up as a roadside settlement on a valley site presumably chosen for access to water. Percy Bysshe Shelley was born at Field Place in the parish in 1792 and spent his youth here. Warnham was famous for its cricket in the 18th century and has had strong links with the game ever since.

 

The largest herd of red deer in the country, established in the middle of the 19th century, is to be found in the park on the Warnham Estate.